STRUCTURE OF AN ATOM
|Image Courtesy: livescience.com|
- PROTONS – it is the stable subatomic particle present in nuclei of all the atoms, with a positive electric charge and equal in magnitude to that of electron .
- NEUTRONS– the subatomic particle of about the same mass as a proton, without electric charge. It is also present in the atomic nuclei except ordinary hydrogen.
- ELECTRONS- it’s the stable subatomic particle with charge of negative electricity acting the career of electricity.
RELATIVE CHARGE, RELATIVE MASS and POSITION OF SUBATOMIC PARTICLES IN THE ATOM
Position in the atom
In the nucleus
In the nucleus
- Protons have positive charge as the first letter indicates P for positive. Same is with neutrons as their first letter indicate N for neural or no charge. The left charge with us is negative so electron has negative charge on it.
- Relative masses are not the actual masses of the subatomic particles. They are the masses in relation to each other . As proton and neutron are the heaviest particles there relative masses are denoted by 1. Electrons are said to be 2000 times lighter than both so it is denoted by 1/2000 in relation to proton and neutron.
- Now as we know proton and neutron are the heaviest particles and cannot move so they are present in the nucleus. On the other hand electron being the lightest, revolve around the nucleus in their shells.
|Image courtesy: Pinterest|
|Image courtesy: wikimedia|
REPRESENTATION OF ATOM IN PERIODIC TABLE
|Image courtesy: olevelchemistry.com|
- The symbol of respective elements are written at the place of X in the picture above.
- A represents the Atomic mass / mass number of the element which is equal to the number of nucleons ( proton and neutron) in the nucleus .
- Z represents the Atomic number which is equal to the number of protons in a nucleus ( also remember the number of protons is equal to the number of electrons )
Mahima Laroyia, is an Oxford Postgraduate in Integrative Biosciences who has more than 8 years of tutoring experience in tutoring students Maths and Sciences from KS2 up to A-levels. She specializes in providing custom and tailor made study materials to school students to make Maths and Sciences easier and fun.Find me at: www.expertguidance.co.uk